Prayer and Fasting
Never underestimate the power of prayer and fasting.
“Why should I fast?”
When I was 20 years old, I had impossible situations staring me in the face.
A man spoke at my church on the power of prayer and fasting. I felt the Lord was calling me to fast for several days. But, I was reluctant. So, I read every verse in the Bible about fasting asking the question, “Why should I fast?”
As I did, I kept reading about the powerful things that occurred when God’s people pursued Him with prayer and fasting. For example,
· Hannah was given a long-anticipated pregnancy.
· Jehoshaphat saw God give a miraculous victory over a mighty enemy.
· Nehemiah was given favor with the ling so he could return and rebuild the walls of Jerusalem.
· It was only after fasting that Jesus began to operate in the power of the Holy Spirit and perform great miracles.
As I listed over two-dozen big blessings that came through fasting, my question switched from, “Why should I fast?” to. “Why am I not fasting more often?”
Then I did my first extended fast and gave God three big requests.
1. I had three friends that had been in a terrible automobile accident and were supposed to die.
2. I had a friend who was going to be kicked out of school because he could not ay his bill and he could not get a loan. So, I asked God to give me enough money to pay for my friend’s school bill so he could stay in school.
3. I asked God to enable me to lead 50 people to Christ in a month.
By the end of the month:
· My three friends were all healed and two were out of the hospital.
· God gave money unexpected money in the mail which was just enough to pay my friend’s school bill.
· Having 50 people saved seemed impossible. At the end of the month, I only had 22. But on the very last day of the month I spoke to a 150-teenagers and 28 were powerfully saved.
Since then, I have learned that when I need something I should pray.
But if it is a really big thing and the answer does not seem to be coming, I should fast and pray.
Maybe there is a situation in your life that has reached the desperation point.
Or maybe you want to deal with a situation before it reaches the desperation point.
Why not set aside a meal or a day, or even a few days to seek the Lord about your situation with fasting?